Sonic Advance is the first game in the Sonic series on the Game Boy Advance.
The gameplay is much like the older games. You can select many characters from the beginning of the game, such as:
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Plays much like he did in the older games. He has the Spindash, the insta-shield from Sonic the Hedgehog 3, and he has been given a new sumersault ability (from Sonic Adventure 2) and a new sliding ability, and is one of the 2 characters that can grind Rails.
- Tails: Plays much like he did in the older games. He can fly for a limited amount of time, and he has been given a new Tail-whip ability.
- Knuckles: Plays much like he did in the older games. He can glide much like in Sonic the Hedgehog 3, and he has been given new abilities, such as the ability to swim in water, even at the top. And he can punch, much like his Sonic Adventure 2 Counterpart.
- Amy Rose: A new playable character. She has a much different gameplay from the others, as you can't jump into enemies, so Amy have to rely on her hammer to defeat enemies. If you hit the hammer on the ground while jumping, Amy will jump higher in her jumps. And the similar thing also applys with springs. She is also one of the characters that can grind on Rails.
The special stages in the game can be accessed by jumping into one of the 7 giant springs in the game; the Special Stage gameplay is that the character you play as, flys down an area on a snowboard, trying to collect as much rings. The way the stage functions with how many rings before the next area is much like Sonic the Hedgehog 2's Special Stages. Unlike the Genesis games, Super Sonic can only be accessed in the final level of the game. You can also select which level you want to play, unlike the older games, which goes in a preset order (only exception being the level select in those games, however.)
- Neo Green Hill Zone
- Secret Base
- Casino Paradise Zone
- Ice Mountain Zone
- Angel Island
- Egg Rocket Zone
- Cosmic Angel Zone
- The Moon Zone (requires all chaos emeralds to be collected in order to access it)