| To do:
Add more info about each of the Prototypes, and maybe even make some separate pages on each Prototype.
Versions of Sonic The Hedgehog 2Edit
The Beta VersionEdit
Nick Arcade VersionEdit
The first version of Sonic 2 was shown in a few episodes of Nick Arcade, there are things not in the final can be seen here includes:
- Emerald hill Zone played Starlight Zone's music from Sonic the Hedgehog
- Chemical Plant Zone has Marble Garden Zone's Music
- Hidden Palace Zone has Spring Yard Zone's music
- Hill Top Zone has Scrap Brain Zone's Music
- Green Hill Zone is present in the game, but with some glitches.
- Tails is interdependent, meaning Player 2 can control Tails, but Tails will also follow Sonic.
- Tails can't complete a level on his own.
- 2-Player mode is less complete, due to some glitches and not being enabled for every zone.
- There is no "star" graphic effect when Sonic is invincible, but the music for it plays, this lasts until the end of the level.
- The "Double Hit Spike" bug from Sonic The Hedgehog is still present.
- There is a mechanic where Sonic rebounds off walls if he runs into them at high speeds.
- The spin dash can only be charged once.
- The title screen looks more like the ones from the Master System/Game Gear versions.
- The timer resets to 9:00 before hitting 9:59, meaning the time won't run out during stages.
- As with Sonic the Hedgehog, if you connect it to a Sonic and Knuckles cartridge it loads the game "Blue Sphere".
- If Sonic and Tails run into each other, an abundance of rings come flying out, regardless of how many rings the player has.
Simon Wai ProtoypeEdit
- There are some zones not used in the final, these zones include Wood Zone, Dusty Hill Zone and Wood Zone.
- When collecting 100 rings, the music will turn into an early version of the Death Egg Zone.
- Oil Ocean Zone has brown pinballs that roll toward you unlike in the final
- Oil Ocean Zone also lacks the flames in the pots that send you flying.